Wow. I can’t believe 2014 is over, or that I’ve been blogging for a year, or that this time last year I was almost over morning sickness and still didn’t know what gender my baby was.
What a change the past (almost) 365 days have brought me. Let’s state the obvious first: this time last year, I didn’t have a daughter. The baby inside of me was still “Baby” or “It” or “Charlie.” (Ouch, Charlie! That hurt, Charlie!)
I had just started this blog, and I was still almost three weeks away from having a complete rough draft of Damaged (with the ending that still really sucked). I was just beginning to make writing friends outside of the Fanfiction world, and I had four dissertations for GFES that I was editing.
Now, as the year draws to the close, I have:
- An active, healthy six-month-old
- A (temporarily?) shelved manuscript (after three-plus rounds of revisions and 50 queries)
- A new rough draft to play with that I’m completely in love with
- Several new writing friends and critique partners
- Seen these critique partners and writing friends find success
- Started a freelance editing business
- Edited novels for pay
- Ten dissertations to edit for GFES (two down!!)
- Published more than 50 blog posts
- Gained a growing readership (hello, readers!)
All in all, 2014 has been a great year, though not without its setbacks. Labor isn’t anything incredible, and I’m going to miss my grandmother like crazy, especially this week, since New Year’s was her holiday.
But no year is complete without its sadness. And I think the lows help you appreciate the highs more.
Of my eight measurable 2014 goals, I have already completed six, and should complete the seventh before the end of the year. The last one, reading all the books on my official 2014 book list, won’t happen. Here is the list of books I intended to read in 2014:
Official 2014 Book List
- One-Minute Prayers
- The Prayer Matrix
- Inside Story
- Little Women*
- Foundation and Earth
- Northanger Abbey
- Pride and Prejudice
- Sense and Sensibility
- Mansfield Park
- A Tale of Two Cities
- Bridget Jones’s Diary
- The Island*
- The Truth Teller
- Harry Potter’s Bookshelf
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
- Shakespeare’s Sonnets
- The Adventures of Huck Finn
- The Book Thief
- If You Could See What I See
- The Last Song
- Save Me
- Deep Freeze
- Les Miserables
- A Christmas Carol
- Blind Spot
Bold = Finished the book
Italics = Couldn’t finish… hated it.
Purple = Read it twice!
Orange = re-read for the year
Blue = Favorite new book of the year
* = Had to force myself to finish it.
What has 2014 brought to you? What is the most different in your life from one year ago today?